17 May 2013

...Classroom Climate

Bill Rogers describes different 'phases' in the development of a positive classroom climate. In this post I summarise aspects of each phase, and provide a checklist of practical considerations to help teachers build a positive, sustainable learning environment.



Establishment

Primarily preventative development of rules and routines designed to ensure good use of learning time. Unnecessary disruption is anticipated, and minimised through careful planning. Pupils are made aware of their rights and responsibilities, and how these relate to their safety and learning.

Establishment checklist:
- Agree classroom rules
- Share responsibilities
- Plan management of transitions

Maintenance & Consolidation

Encouraging established routines. Teachers provide pupils with feedback to help embed expected classroom behaviours. Continual consideration given to pupils' different needs and abilities.

Maintenance & consolidation checklist:
- Monitor and assert agreed rules
- Provide positive examples
- Consider individuals' learning needs

Cohesion

Marked by strong relational ties. Teachers make good use of their working knowledge of the class and its dynamics. Pupils empowered through managing various aspects of their classroom and of their own learning behaviour. Effective co-operation and collaboration is embedded and regularly evident in the classroom.

Cohesion checklist:
- Pupils able to monitor class rules
- Pupils able to share management of the learning environment
- Pupils able to articulate and employ learning behaviours, with increasing independence

References & further reading
Cowley, S (2010) Getting the buggers to behave. Continuum
Lever, C (2011) Understanding Challenging Behaviour in Inclusive Classrooms. Longman
Rogers, B (2012) You Know the Fair Rule: Strategies for Positive and Effective Behaviour Management and Discipline in Schools (3rd ed.) Pearson

24 comments:

  1. I couldn’t resist commenting. Perfectly written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good information. Lucky me I found your site by accident (stumbleupon).

    I've book-marked it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After going over a few of the articles on your web page, I really appreciate your technique of blogging.
    I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the near future.
    Please visit my website too and tell me how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s difficult to find educated people about this subject, but you seem like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is very open with a very clear description of the challenges.
    It was really informative. Your website is extremely helpful.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a topic that's near to my heart... Cheers! Exactly where are your contact details though?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's definately a great deal to learn about this topic.

    I like all of the points you made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made some really good points there. I looked on the net to find out more about the issue and found most individuals will
    go along with your views on this site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there! I simply wish to offer you a big thumbs up for your excellent information you
    have here on this post. I am coming back to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague who was doing a little
    research on this. And he actually bought me lunch due to the fact that
    I discovered it for him... lol. So let me reword this....
    Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to talk about this subject here
    on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! This post couldn’t be written much better!
    Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He constantly kept preaching about this. I am going
    to forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have
    a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seriously love your website.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you develop this website yourself? Please reply back as I’m
    trying to create my own blog and would like to know where you got this from or just what the theme is called.
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog before but after going
    through a few of the articles I realized it’s
    new to me. Nonetheless, I’m certainly happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've made some really good points there. I checked on the web to
    learn more about the issue and found most people will go along with your
    views on this website.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so awesome! I don't believe I've read anything like that before.

    So wonderful to find somebody with some unique thoughts on this issue.
    Really.. thank you for starting this up. This website
    is something that is required on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing
    this write-up plus the rest of the website is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm more than happy to find this page. I want to to thank
    you for ones time for this wonderful read!!
    I definitely liked every little bit of it and i also
    have you saved as a favorite to check out new information in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe this amazing
    site needs far more attention. I’ll probably be
    returning to see more, thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greetings! Very useful advice within this article!
    It's the little changes that produce the most significant changes.
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come
    across a blog that’s both equally educative and entertaining,
    and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue that
    too few people are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i'm very happy I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was able to find good information from your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it.
    I have got you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything is very open with a clear description of
    the issues. It was really informative. Your site is very useful.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Howdy! I just want to offer you a huge thumbs up for the great information you've got here on this post.
    I'll be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments & views. No tricky verification required...
Regards, DJA